Translate

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Meter Maid has a Heart

This is one of my favorite stories to tell that people find it hard to believe. I was with a friend and we were using two cars to move some stuff for someone at a hotel. Unfortunately, there was no parking on the street, so we parked in the red zone in front of the hotel. I left my friend outside with the cars and to deal with the Meter Maid, if one showed up.

Well, I waited and waited in the lobby for my contact person. It felt like it was taking forever.

Just when my contact person showed up I noticed my friend had gotten out of their car and was met by a Meter Maid. I told my contact person I needed to step out for a moment, then ran outside.

I pleaded my case to Meter Mail with no avail. He pointed to the sign that read “No Parking Anytime,” and preceded to write me a citation. I asked him “How his day was going?” He just glared at me and handed me the citation. I wished him a good day and told him “thanks, I was wrong and I deserved the citation. I hope he had a good day.” He just stared at me. I said it again “I hope you have a good day and I do mean it.”

He walked back to his vehicle and waited for us to drive away. As I pulled forward the Meter Maid stuck out his hand out motioning for me to stop. I did and rolled down my window. He said “give me back the citation.” I don’t know what I said or what I did, but whatever it was it made enough of a difference that he chose to give me a break. No one knows how unconditional kindness can make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good son!you give him your heart,and he brings back his!i'm proud of you...