Translate

Friday, September 5, 2008

Christmas in July

I had put an ad to sell an artificial Christmas tree online. It was there for months before I got a desperate call from some guy wanting the tree. “If I still had the tree he would be by to pick it up in an hour,” he said. I’ve heard this before “I want it and I’ll be right over.” So I didn’t hold my breath for this guy.

About an hour later he calls and tells me he’s on his way. He should be at my place in an hour or so. He asked if “I had any more Christmas decorations to sell?” I told him no. He said “he’s on a mission to recreate Christmas.”

So, I waited for him in the alley. A few moments later, this big black roared toward me and parked. This guy pops out of the driver’s side and heads over to me. He barks “You the guy selling the tree?” I nodded and gave him the box.

He took it and said “I told you I was going to recreate Christmas?” I responded “Yeah.” So he goes on to tell me this story. He met this girl a year ago and they became friends. Up to that point he was doing the bar scene and dating a lot of different girls. But this girl came along and made a difference in his life.

Then one day it came to an end when she told him she was leaving for Europe to work. He knew he would miss her, but as the days passed he realized he had deep feelings for her. They continued to stay in touch by phone and racked up some heavy bills.

It had been six month since she left for Europe. She was coming back to see him for the weekend. They had never made love, their love had grown from the friendship between them and now they knew it was true. When this guy first met this girl, it was during Christmas, which is why he wanted the Christmas tree. He wanted to recreate Christmas in his living room, so when she stepped into his house she would be taken back to that day and there, he would ask for her hand in marriage.

No comments: